Monday, 26 April 2010

Evaluation

It has been a while since my last post but here is my evaluation.

This project required me to research and develop a topic and then compile that research into a portfolio. I originally decided to research Wes Craven and George Romero as they are horror directors and I thought it would be quite interesting. However when I began research I became very bored very fast and I felt that I wouldn't really gain anything from it.
This is when I decided to change my topic of research and look into special effects instead as I am quite interested in this area of film making. I then realized that I had to narrow down my field of research as there are so many aspects of special effects.
To make my research more detailed I decided to look at Miniatures, CGI and 3D films. I thought this was a nice mix as it combines old, present and new kinds of special effects in films. There are also numerous examples out there for these areas such as Avatar, Poseidon and Titanic.
When I began my research, I learned quite a lot of techniques and methods of achieving realism in Miniatures and CGI such as camera running speeds and level of detail required in Miniatures and CGI models.
I found the 3D section the most interesting, especially the history of 3D. I learned so much about different 3D techniques such as anaglyph 3D and polarized 3D.
I didn't manage to make my own 3D pictures or films as I did not have access to the equipment I needed to make a successful 3D image, but from my research I have firm knowledge of how to successfully create 3D.
Overall I thought this was a very good project. I managed to source examples really easily and I have gained a lot of knowledge from it too. It will certainly help me in future when I make films.

No comments:

Post a Comment